A MESSAGE REGARDING COVID-19
In response to recently announced government guidelines, Soulpepper has suspended the remainder of its announced season, including all upcoming productions, and events through to August, 2020. This has been an incredibly difficult and heartbreaking decision, but ultimately we feel the right one to ensure the safety of everyone in our community.
This means the suspension of all public performances of:
- The Seagull
- Winter Solstice (co-produced with Necessary Angel Theatre Company)
- Sizwe Banzi is Dead
- M. Butterfly
- Revolutions: Songs that Changed the World
- The Secret Chord: a Leonard Cohen Experience
- 88 Keys
- Behind the Bars: Legendary Prison Songs
- The Ex-Boyfriend Yard Sale (Presented by Soulpepper and Outside the March)
- Draw Me Close (Presented by Soulpepper and the National Film Board of Canada)
Ticket holders for the impacted events have been contacted directly with options on how to make arrangements, and can also find information here.
We are truly heartbroken at the loss of these productions, and thank all the artists, designers, and technicians that worked so hard to bring these stories to life. We are exploring a variety of scenarios with the hopes that there may be future opportunities to celebrate their work. We are assessing ways we can support the artists, technicians and front of house teams that will be impacted by these closures.
We have heard wonderful words of support from many of you – from long time ticket holders who have been coming for years, to newer patrons who have become first-time donors, to those who give to Soulpepper in multiple ways. Thank you – we can’t do it without you. If you are in the position to donate during this challenging time, please know it means a lot to us and you have your sincerest thanks. To learn more about supporting Soulpepper, visit soulpepper.ca/donate.
In the coming months, Soulpepper will announce our next season, which will include a robust line-up of plays, concerts, and musicals. We can’t wait to share it with you. In the meantime, our team is hard at work (from their homes) coming up with new ways to keep our community engaged, connected and creating art. You can learn more about our online programming on our website: soulpepper.ca/online.
When this is over, and when it is safe to do so, we will once again gather as a community. We will be moved, inspired and entertained, and we will begin the process of moving forward together.
Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we look forward to welcoming you back.
- If you are able, please consider a donation to the TOArtist COVID-19 Response Fund: torontoartsfoundation.org/toartistresponse or the Actors Fund of Canada: afchelps.ca
- Updates from Toronto Public Health can be found here.
- If you are sick with respiratory symptoms for which you would not normally seek care, please contact Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-0000