Nine blazing hot works written and performed by new Canadian dramatists with gate-crashing ideas, delicious poetry and unique characters woven into a spectacular journey to the Underworld, in search of the self.
These hot new Canadian dramatists bring gatecrashing ideas, serious politics, and fresh bracing language to the stage. They have created current, compelling characters never seen on our stages before, showing us how the very concept of human identity is shifting.
The playwrights include: Bilal Baig, a queer Muslim artist; Ellen Ringler, who has navigated the mental health system; Nikoletta Erdelyi, a young poet who uses a wheelchair, Radha S. Menon, a brazen South Asian British Canadian playwright; Grace Campbell, a fearless writer, performer and visual artist living with a disability, Maddie Bautista, a Saudi Arabia-born Filipino theatre maker and composer/sound designer; Simone Dalton, a queer Trinidadian-Canadian playwright; Samson Brown, is a self described, Jamal Of All Hustles, with a primary focus on trans advocacy and the arts; and Carolyn Heatherington, an 89 year old internationally acclaimed actress who has proven to be an extraordinary playwright.
Approximate running time: 2 hours with one 20-minute intermission.
ODSP Accessible Tickets are available for $25 for all performances. Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) ID required at ticket pick-up.
Live ASL interpretation is provided on the Saturday, May 25 (8:00 PM) performance. Live Audio Description for the visually impaired is provided on the Saturday, May 18 (2:00 PM) performance.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION USING #WelcomeToMyUnderworld
Watch & Listen
- BILAL BAIG, Playwright
- ELLEN RINGLER, Playwright
- NIKOLETTA ERDELYI, Playwright
- RADHA S. MENON, Playwright
- MADDIE BAUTISTA, Playwright
- CAROLYN HEATHERINGTON, Playwright
- GRACE THOMPSON, Playwright
- JUDITH THOMPSON, Dramaturg and Director
- BRETT HAYNES, Set Designer & RARE Theatre Company Producer
- SHARMYLAE TAFFE-FLETCHER, Lighting Designer
- OLIVIA SHORTT, Sound Designer, Composer & Musician
- MONICA DOTTOR, Choreographer
- NICK HUTCHESON, RARE Theatre Executive Director
- SIMONE DALTON, Playwright
- SAMSON BROWN, Playwright